Saturday, June 24, 2017
To advise and inform the LAPD, Van Nuys
Area Commanding Officer of the pressing Public Safety and Quality of
Life concerns on behalf of the Community. C-PAB members will act
as a liaison between the LAPD and the citizens to strengthen the lines
All C-PAB members will put forth their best
effort and participate in agreed upon committee assignments for the
betterment of the Van Nuys Area Community.
- To develop and execute programs and events that enrich the Community.
- To monitor the effectiveness of the Community Based Policing Program and assist Senior Lead Officers where possible.
- To disseminate information pertinent to LAPD and the Community.
- The Van Nuys Area C-PAB shall exist at the pleasure of the
Commanding Officer per Administrative Order No. 6, May 18, 2000 and the
Van Nuys Area Commanding Officer shall be responsible to oversee and
Chair regular meetings.
- Election for Civilian Co-Chair position shall be by closed ballot on
a bi-annual basis in August. The C-PAB recommendations for this
leadership role shall be submitted to the Commanding Officer for final
approval. Executive Board members shall be appointed by the
Civilian Co-Chair and submitted to the Commanding Officer for final
Executive Board positions:
- Outreach/Membership Chair
- Committee Co-Chairs (2) Rejuvenation and Youth Services
- Secretary (to be held by the Community Relations Officer)
Civilian Co-Chair and Executive Board Guidelines:
- Civilian Co-Chair: Responsible for establishing annual goals
for Van Nuys Area C-PAB, setting the meeting agendas, conducting the
regular meetings with the Area Commanding Officer, support and oversight
of all Executive Board functions. Should the Civilian
Co-Chair need to be replaced due to a resignation or dismissal by the
Area Commanding Officer, there shall be another full election process
with the recommended candidate put forth for final approval by the Area
- Outreach/Membership Chair: Responsible for building
relationships with Neighborhood Watch Groups, MVCPC, Neighborhood
Councils, City Council personnel and assisting with member diversity and
- Committee Co-Chairs: Responsible for leadership of individual
committees for the Rejuvenation Project and the Youth Services Project.
- Secretary: Responsible for meeting minutes, posting minutes
and other pertinent information to the LAPD Web Site C-PAB section,
providing counsel of behalf of the Community Relations Office.
- All Van Nuys Area C-PAB members will provide the Secretary with required documentation of all volunteers associated with LAPD.
- Nominations for membership shall come from the Area Commanding
Officer, the C-PAB Executive Board, C-PAB members, Senior Lead Officers
and/or any other reasonable source.
- Guest Members will be admitted to regular member status after
attending three meetings and complying with all LAPD required
documentation for C-PAB members, in addition to final approval by the
Area Commanding Officer.
- Any C-PAB Member can raise a topic for discussion under New Business section of the meeting agenda.
- Members shall have a required annual renewal with no limit to terms
served. Renewal of membership for the Van Nuys Area C-PAB will be
at the discretion of the Area Commanding Officer. Should an
incident occur that warrants the removal of a member, the Area
Commanding Officer shall have the sole authority to do so.
- Any Member may request a leave of absence from either the Area Commanding Officer or the Civilian Co-Chair.
- Each C-PAB member shall have one vote. A quorum shall consist
of 50% plus one (1) of the meeting attendees at the time of any vote.
- Attendance requirement: All members are expected to attend
regular meetings. Three consecutive or combined unexcused absences
in a one calendar year period shall be cause for removal from the
- Members shall inform the Secretary of contact information changes in a timely manner.
- Members shall represent the entire Van Nuys Area and not just their own community.
- Members shall avoid taking any political or religious positions on
behalf of C-PAB and shall maintain an unbiased position at all times.
Amendments to By-Laws
- Any amendment to the by-laws shall be proposed by the Area Commanding Officer.
- A minimum of thirty (30) days advance written notice of proposed
by-law changes shall be distributed in writing to all members. The
amendments will be presented to the general membership in attendance at
a regularly scheduled meeting. Approval requires 50% plus one (1)
Community Police Advisory Board – C-PAB
- The term Community Police Advisory Board – C-PAB is the property of
the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD). Community Police
Advisory Board or its abbreviation C-PAB may NOT be used by any group or
institution without the expressed permission of the LAPD.
Van Nuys Area C-PAB members are reminded that NO correspondence of any
kind may be distributed in any form using the C-PAB name, abbreviation
or logo without the expressed written consent of the Area Commanding
Officer or his/her authorized representative. Use of same will be
cause for immediate dismissal from the C-PAB.
These By-Law amendments and changes were
approved by the Area Commanding Officer and the Civilian Co-Chair and
the general members.
William A. Eaton, Captain III,
Jean Sinatra, Civilian Co-Chair